Days 6-8- Safari

This is a pretty good representation of our team

This is the moment of the trip when we take a break to go do something that will most likely be a once in a lifetime experience. Many times, people have asked, "Why do you go on Safari when you go on your trips?" My answer is always very simple: when you are THAT close to something so amazing, I believe there's no way you can not go. Not only is it incredible and like nothing in the US, it's a completely spiritual experience. 


Every time I come on Safari, God is right there teaching me about who He is. The first year I came, God really taught me about his magnificence when it comes to creation. He created the world and all that is in it. When you sit in a place like the Masai Mara, you can't help but think about how magnificent God is in His reach and His ability to create such a place that draws all worship to Himself. 

The second time, I was blown away by the creativity of God. All the animals and how unique they are from each other is just mind blowing. I think one of the reasons I felt this way is that all the animals are grazing and living in the same place. They are walking around together so you see them all at once and can compare them to one another very easily. This isn't the zoo where each animal has it's cage and it's place separated out from one another. It's so crazy!

Notice the top of our roof for a glimpse of how close they are

This year though, God kept bringing the VASTNESS of His creation to my mind. As we drove into the Mara, I was reminded of how big it really is. It is about 583 square miles. We stayed at the Fig Tree Camp (you can see it on the map below). 

 

In the midst of our drives, we probably only saw about 50 square miles of the park. When you are driving though, you can see for miles and miles as the hills roll but you have a mostly unobstructed view of the horizon. You can see as far as your eyes will let you. This place was created by a magnificent, creative God. One whose bounds are limitless. One who doesn't exist in our view of time or space. He is all knowing, all powerful, all places, all the time. What we see as the vast Masai Mara, He simply sees as a dot on the map. Our God is limitless. 


As I stood with my head out of the safari vehicle looking and just thinking, I wondered why I think my problems and my circumstances are too much for God. Why do I continue to take them back into my own hands to control? My hand is so small compared to the God who created the universe and my control is so limited compared to the limitless nature of God. This reminded me of a couple passages in Isaiah 40:

"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand
    and marked off the heavens with a span,
enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure
    and weighed the mountains in scales
    and the hills in a balance? 

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
    his understanding is unsearchable." 

 - Isaiah 40:12, 28

A couple of words that continue to stick out from this passage in my mind now that we are back at Heart are everlasting, Creator, and unsearchable. My God, the One in whom I have placed my trust and the One in whom I find salvation, is far more than I will ever be. In the moments that I want to take control and do it my way, I must remember God has a plan and His ways are better than my own. He knows all things and sees all things. There is a limit to my sight and my understanding but there is none when it comes to the limitless nature of God. Control is something I don't need, but my sinful nature says I want it. What I need to do is turn it over to God and trust!


The three days we were out at safari were incredible. It was a time to reflect on all that we have seen and process how we are feeling about it. We did this together as we drove to and from (about a five hour drive one way) and as we sat together at meals. Nights were full of playing games together and lots of laughs. This team is truly here by the call of God as we have bonded so much and grown closer to the Lord through each other! God is good! God is faithful!

On Thursday, we had the chance to go to an authentic Masai village. The Masai people are a nomadic people group who live in the Mara. They are primarily cattle herders and live in a very primitive way compared to the rest of Kenya. They live off the land and start fires using dry cow dung (they demonstrated it for us). Before the ban on killing lions in the park, at the age of 13, a Masai would have to go out on their journey to manhood and couldn't return until they had killed a lion. It was their rite of passage into the tribe. It's a fascinating thing to see. Below is a video of them dancing and singing.  

The Lord has been at work as we have had the chance to present the Gospel to about 1200 people including 1000 kids. Please be praying for us as we share with some of the High School students today at the Center and then as we have church services on Sunday. Pray for Collin as he preaches to the parents, me (Jameson) as he teaches the students, and Melissa as she teaches the kids. The next two days are our last couple and it's going to be jam packed with ministry and the Gospel! Praise God!

Also, please be praying for our COVID tests as we take them today! We need all negative tests to make our journey back to the US. This is a big hurdle in being able to come back home! Much love from Magical Kenya! 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1- Slum & PL Center

Day 3- Church and the Maasai Market